Valentina Grajales is originally from Colombia and lived most of her life in Florida. She received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and minor in Art History from the University of Florida, where she studied Printmaking, Art History and Pre-Med. She studied abroad both in Brazil and France. She then earned a Masters of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Georgetown University and spent a year at the National Institutes of Health investigating gynecological cancers and breast cancer. She attended medical school at the University of Virginia and went through medical rotations in Rwanda and Guatemala. She speaks Spanish, Portuguese and French. In her free time, Valentina enjoys making art, gardening, going to the movies and traveling. Valentina is now training at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Department of Urology.
- Cantrell LA, Saks E, Grajales V, Duska L. Nutrition in gynecologic cancer. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. 2015;4(4):265-271. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13669-015-0130-2.
- Hsu S, Kim M, Hernandez L, et al. IKK-epsilon coordinates invasion and metastasis of ovarian cancer. Cancer Res. 2012;72(21):5494-5504. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-3993 [doi]
- McMurray, N.S. Gade, K., Grajales, V., Gasana, G., Braswell, M., Petroze, R., Ntaganira, J., Ntakiyiruta, G., Calland, J.. Differences in the Perception of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) among Male and Female Rwandan Healthcare Providers. Gender and Violence. 2015, Sep; Pub Status: Submitted.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Grajales Valentina, MS, Gade Kristine, BS, McMurray Nathan, BS, Kansayisa George, BMed, Braswell Matthew, MA, Petroze Robin, MD, Ntaganira Joseph, MD, MPH, PhD, Ntakiyiruta George, MMed, Calland James F, MD. (2013). Intimate Partner Violence: Opinions of Physicians and Medical Students in Rwanda Regarding Social Norms, Screening, and Treatment Poster presented at: 6th Annual Alliance for Surgery and Anesthesia Presence Meeting; Durham, NC.
- Grajales, V.. (2012). Paradoxical roles of IKKe signaling in Breast Cancer Oral Presentation presented at: National Institutes of Health/ Medical Oncology Branch Seminar; District of Columbia, DC.
- Valentina Grajales M.S., Anne Noonan, M.D., Christina M. Annunziata M.D, Ph.D.. (2011). Serous histology ovarian and uterine cancers share dependence on PI3 kinase and mTOR signaling Poster presented at: Tenth Tri-Annual Student Research Poster Presentation, GUMC; District Of Columbia, DC.